According to NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence:
- 84% of couples in general population will conceive within 1 year if they do not use contraception and have regular sexual intercourse. Of those who do not conceive in the first year, about half will do so in the second year (cumulative pregnancy rate 92%).
- People who have not conceived after 1 year of regular unprotected sexual intercourse would be offered further clinical investigations including semen analysis and/or assessment of ovulation.
- Couples who experience problems in conceiving should be seen together because both partners are affected by decisions surrounding investigations and treatment.
Information from NICE guidelines https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg156
However, for approximately 25% of couples who have investigations there will be no obvious reason why they cannot conceive (idiopathic infertility). In either case, stress levels in both partners are likely to be very high.
How might Reflexology support you?
If you are trying to conceive, reflexology can help support you and your partner both physically and emotionally. Whether you have just started trying to conceive or have been trying for a while. If you been given a clearly defined diagnosis and are offered treatment, reflexology can assist with the stressful & anxious journey that it may be for you.
If you have been given the diagnosis of unexplained infertility, this can be frustrating with no clear problem to focus on, nor a clear way forward. Having Reflexology will provide you relaxation and stress reduction; this in itself can beneficial for conception. Reflexology gives you an opportunity to take time out for yourself. It will be a safe space for you to talk and to have someone listen to you which will be comforting at a time when you may have few friends and family that you wish to confide in.
Whilst fertility reflexology can never claim to cure any particular condition, it works by balancing all of the bodies systems particularly the endocrine system. Balance in a woman or mans emotional and physical well-being is extremely important in the attempt to conceive. By encouraging the body to work more efficiently it can create a healthier environment for possible pregnancy to occur.
You can have reflexology at most stages of your conception journey whether it is a medicated/assisted cycle such as Clomid/IUI/IVF/ICSI.
Do contact me if you would like to discuss any of the helpful tips above and I can help you reduce your current stress load.
(1) AOR, Reflexology supporting you through your conception journey www.aor.org.uk
(2) The Natural Fertility Clinic, training
All material provided on carolinedearlove.co.uk web site is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your Doctor or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise or other health program.